WP40: The European Programme In Civil Society Leadership (EPICS)
The European Programme In Civil Society Leadership (EPICS)
WP40 Responsible for Spread of Excellence
The ambition behind this programme departs from an identified need to establish a European educational programme for top-executives, public opinion multipliers and leaders in civil society organisations (CSOs). This initiative rests on the following three core assumptions:
- A vivid network-community of European CSO decision makers ought to be encouraged for both strategic and integrative reasons. A significant exchange already occurs on the European arena through politics, academia and business. However, although many current civil society related problems and issues call for wider ambitions, perspectives and co-operations stretching across nations and organisations, extensive parts of Europe’s civil society activities are still restricted to particular nation-state contexts.
- Scholarly research addressing civil society related problems and issues should be facilitated. As CSOs are central partners and stakeholders in many important policy fields (social welfare and service, environmentalism, sports, arts, culture etc.), the dissemination of leading academic knowledge must reach beyond politicians and other public sector actors at all levels. There is a growing scholarly knowledge in Europe as the CINEFOGO project demonstrates. Accordingly, CSO decision makers and leaders are to be regarded a crucial target group for both CINEFOGO and other academic communities’ dissemination of excellent research.
- Decision makers require tailor-made programmes. The curriculum of the programme will be equally centred on ideas of personal interaction and networking as well as teaching, training and transfer of state-of-the-art academic knowledge. This includes an elaboration upon recent developments concerning civil society and e.g. European law, civic engagement, funding and policy issues, etc.
- All in all, the overall aim with the programme is to support and assist the creation of a European identity and an international strategic awareness among top-decision makers with a background in different CSOs and various civil society contexts.
WP40 Description of work
The schedule of the CINEFOGO Education Programme consists of three subsequent phases.
- The preparation phase was and is mainly concerned with finding adequate academic partners, the exchange of ideas and proposals on the issues which should be covered in the framework of an European programme for decision makers in Civil Society Organisations. Moreover, potential keyplayers and decision makers, who could participate, should be identified and addressed.
- The development phase will focus on an intensive discussion process regarding the sharpening of the issues and topics covered and delivered as well as on the establishing of the organisational framework of the Programme. Especially the creation of a well-reflected identity should enable the setting up of a sustainable and long-lasting programme idea and the integration of the different modules.
- The programme phase refers to the implementation of the modules as well as the academic partnership of the involved university centres.
- CR55 - Institut für interdisziplinäre Nonprofit Forschung an der Wirtschaftuniversität Wien (AT)
- CR37 - Stockholm School of Economics (SE)
For documents of this work package, please go to CINEFOGO Database and type WP40 in the Search field.